|19 November 2019|
Peace, justice and strong institutions - the role of indigenous peoples in implementing Sustainable Development Goal 16
|Events Detail : -|
UN International Expert Group Meeting: "Peace, justice and strong institutions - the role of indigenous peoples in implementing Sustainable Development Goal 16"
19-21 November 2019
hosted by RCSD, The Regional Center for Social Science and Sustainable Development, Faculty of Social Sciences, Chiang Mai University
Every year, the Indigenous Peoples and Development Branch within the Division for Inclusive Social Development of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs organizes an international expert group meeting (EGM) on a theme recommended by the Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues and endorsed by the Economic and Social Council.
The Permanent Forum at its 2019 annual session decided that the theme for the 2020 session of the Forum will be “Peace, justice and strong institutions: the role of indigenous peoples in implementing Sustainable Development Goal 16”. The Permanent Forum also decided that the EGM should be held on the same theme to inform the work of the 19th Session.
• Evaluate the recognition of their institutions and their participation in local/national decisionmaking mechanisms;
• Share good practices in the various areas: cooperation with indigenous peoples in peacebuilding and conflict resolution, protection of indigenous human rights defenders, providing access to justice to remote communities, establishment of truth and reconciliationcommissions, inclusion of indigenous peoples’ representatives and institutions at different levels, etc.;
• Assess the situation of indigenous women in the context of conflicts and participation in decision-making;
• Identify further areas and targets of SDG 16 in which’s implementation indigenous peoples can contribute;
• Analyze gaps in the implementation of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples;
• Propose recommendations and next steps to ensure the recognition of indigenous peoples’ rights and institutions.